23.5.12

A new leaf

An early trial of Darin's MacGyver-esque plastic-bubble-and-Scotch-tape macro kit for BlackBerry
So, I guess it's time to change things up a bit here at aberration, which, if you hadn't noticed, is a word-nerd attempt at a clever double-entendre. All you photo people out there will know the term from the phenomenon called chromatic aberration, a distorting effect due to a particular type of lens failure. Of course, aberration is also the term for something that isn't quite, well, normal. And while I could very well be talking about myself there, I'm actually referring to the BlackBerry cameras I use to make the images on this blog, because it's not normal for people to attempt art on a BlackBerry. Is it?

I haven't posted many words here since I started this project a couple of years ago, having preferred to let the pictures do the talking, but I'm feeling suddenly chatty of late, after meeting some interesting people here in K-W with a similar penchant for aberrant behaviour, photographically speaking. People like Darin White at makebright and Mark Walton at Foto:RE, both of whom suggested, on the separate weekends that I met each of them for the first time, that we convene at 8 or 8:30 a.m. Weekend early risers? Definitely aberrant.

Anyway, anything posted here before today was taken on a BlackBerry 9700. Going forward, you'll see mostly images from my 9900, with a few 9700s thrown in. If you care to know that much, just ask and I'll tell you. You'll also see some colour here from now on, and a few photo sets instead of just singles.

I promise to post a bit more often from here on in, and if I don't, call me out like Darin did the other day. It's the reason you're reading these words right now. Thanks, Darin.

Alley, downtown Waterloo (sorry BIA types; I still can't bring myself to say Uptown)

'57 Chevy, Orlando, Florida

Horse auction, St. Jacobs

1 comment:

  1. That's a kickass shot of those keys, Tony. Really nice. Thanks for sharing.

    To any who doubt we can make art with BlackBerry: watch us.

    DW

    ReplyDelete